Friday, September 17, 2010

Doris Beaudet - Remillard



VISITING NANNY IN FLORIDA



My grandmother, Doris, died this week at the age of 83. My Nanny was very kind and used to remember every story about when I was young. She was a very pretty lady with bleach blonde hair and very good skin. She had a very thick New Hampshire (Boston) accent. She would say, "That is wicked good." Or finish every sentence with "Yah?" It was always a very different culture when we would go visit my Dad's family in the New England area. Everyone could speak French and they would kiss you on each cheek when saying hello or good-bye. When my sister and I were young they would want us to sing and dance for them...I was mortified but they were all funny. My grandfather died when he was 50 years old and he had 8 brothers (I think). None of them lived too long. My grandmother comes from a large family as well, I think she had 6 brothers and sisters. My grandmother got married again about 12 years ago to Paul Remillard, he was 10 years older than her so no one thought she would go before him. He was also from a very large family of 16 kids. He had some very interesting stories about his family and growing up during the Depression with 16 kids, he was the oldest. Nanny and Paul lived half the year in New Hampshire and half the year in Florida. We went to visit them about 4 years ago in Florida and they had a really cool house not too far from the beach.

I wish I could have gone to the funeral to support my parents, but it was in New Hampshire and me being almost 8 months pregnant has not allowed me to go.

Again, I am writing this for my little guy and I want him to know all about his roots. He will have lots of French and German in him! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment